week four journal 4
In an ever-increasing competitive job market, a strong resume is a crucial component in any successful job search. Your resume serves as your personal marketing document and your first impression to prospective employers. Your resume is a one-of-a-kind, quick and easy reference for an employer that proves you are the perfect candidate for the position you are applying for. To create a strong resume, you must first identify the message you want the reader to receive and determine the skills and qualifications you would like to highlight on your resume. What you highlight is generally based on the position you are applying for. For this journal, you will explore the components of a strong resume, reflect on your own career goals, and assess what action steps you can take to build your resume or to make your resume stronger.
To prepare for your journal:
- Watch the Career Jump Start Series Part 1: Developing a Professional Cover Letter and Resume (Links to an external site.) webinar to help prepare you for creating or updating your resume.
- Login to My Career through your Student Portal (Links to an external site.). Revisit your career goal and identify the top three to five skills or qualifications that make you a strong candidate for this career/position.
- If you already have a resume: Use resume resources (Links to an external site.) to update your resume and target the industry or occupation you are seeking. Also, look for the sample resumes tab after you click on the previous link above.
- If you do not have a resume: Use the resume resources (Links to an external site.) and this resume template (Links to an external site.)to develop an initial resume, and target the resume to the industry or occupation you are seeking.
administration of Early Childhood Ed. is the job I am going for
In your journal, complete all the tasks listed below.
- Choose one of the following:
- List your career goal and the three to five key skills or qualifications that make you a strong candidate for the career or position you are interested in.
- Describe what sections of your resume you feel are the strongest and best highlight your qualifications and why.
- Share three specific changes you made to your resume that helped to emphasize your selected skills or qualifications. If you build a new resume, list three things you put on your resume that emphasizes your selected skills or qualifications.
- Attach your resume.