1) What does Miller say in the Overture â€œundoubtedly created many of the suspicions which were to feed the coming madnessâ€?
a. The edge of the wilderness was close by.
b. The parochial snobbery of these people was partly responsible for their failure to convert the Indians.
c. This predilection for minding other peopleâ€™s business was time-honored among the people of Salem.
d. Which is not to say that nothing broke into this strict and somber way of life.
2) What did the people of Salem believe about the forest?
a. It was the source of all good and plenty
b. It was the home base of the Devil
c. It was simply a treasure of products to be sent back to England
d. It provided fowl for the people to eat
3) What does Miller say in the Overture was the witch-hunt an opportunity for?
a. A chance to confess guilt through accusations against others
b. A chance to root out all evil
c. A chance to show the faults of theology
d. A chance to attack the supernatural
4) Reverend Parris had all of the following reactions to his daughterâ€™s sickness and dancing in the woods EXCEPT:
a. Worry about his job
b. His reputation
c. Accepting his daughterâ€™s dancing as natural
d. Worry for his daughter
5) What disagreement does Thomas Putnam have with Giles Corey?
a. Land distribution
b. A marriage contract between daughter and son
d. Belief in witchcraft
6) Which character trait best describes Mr. Hale based on the following excerpt from the stage directions?
Mr. Hale is nearing forty, a tightÂskinned, eagerÂeyed intellectual. This is a beloved errand for himÍ¾ on being called here to ascertain witchcraft he felt the pride of the specialist whose unique knowledge has at last been publicly called for. Like almost all men of learning, he spent a good deal of his time pondering the invisible world, especially since he has himself encountered a witch in his parish not long beforeâ€¦However, that experience never raised a doubt in his mind as to the reality of the underworld or the existence of Luciferâ€™s manyÂfaced lieutenants.
7) Which excerpt gives us an initial indication of Abigail and Proctorsâ€™ shared secret?
a. â€œNo, God forbid. Mercy, run to the doctor! Tell him whatâ€™s happened here!â€ (Mercy Lewis rushes out.)
b. â€œThere is hard sickness here, Giles Corey, so please to keep the quiet.
c. â€œShe heard you singinâ€™ and suddenly sheâ€™s up and screaminâ€™.
d. Abigail has stood as though on tiptoe, absorbing his presence, wideÂeyed. Â â€œGah! Iâ€™d almost forgot how strong you are, John Proctor!â€
8) Mrs. Putnam is described in the stage directions as â€œA twisted soul of fortyÂgive, a deathÂridden woman, haunted by dreams.â€ Which line from the text, spoken by Mrs. Putnam, corresponds with this description?
a. It is a providence the thing is out now! It is a providence.
b. Now, Goody Ann, they only thought that were a witch, and I am certain there be no element ofwitchcraft here.
c. Iâ€™d not call it sickÍ¾ the Devilâ€™s touch is heavier than sick. Itâ€™s death, yâ€™know, itâ€™s deathdrivinâ€™ into them, forked and hoofed.
d. I cannot blink what I saw, Abigail, for my enemies will not blink it. I saw a dress lying on thegrass.
9) According to the overture at the beginning of Act One, which form of government most accurately describes Salem during this time?
10) Which character trait best describes Parris based on the following excerpt from the stage directions?
At the time of these events Parris was in his middle forties. In history he cut a villainous path, and there is very little good to be said for him. He believed he was being persecuted wherever he went, despite his best efforts to win people and God to his side. In meeting, he felt insulted if someone rose to shut the door without first asking his permission. He was a widower with no interest in children, or talent with them. He regarded them as young adults, and until this strange crisis he, like the rest of Salem, never conceived that children were anything but thankful for being permitted to walk straight, eyes slightly lowered, arms at the sides, and mouths shut until bidden to speak.
Needs help with similar assignment?
We are available 24x7 to deliver the best services and assignment ready within 3-4 hours? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paperGet Answer Over WhatsApp Order Paper Now