p2 individual background research
- Even though you are part of a group, you all have individual accountability. To ensure that you are all participating and contributing, each of you will be doing individual background research and submit it as a summary.
- 2 pages, double spaced, and at least 4 sources (NO NEED TO FOLLOW TECHNICAL REPORT TEMPLATE)
This is the project explantion so that you know what to do the research about:
Option 2: Energy Utilization
Between 20% and 30% of the total energy consumed by an average U.S. household is used to heat water. Fossil Fuels constitute the majority of the energy consumed by households in the U.S., therefore heating water with an alternative energy source, will reduce fossil fuel demand.
Design, build, and test a solar water heater.
RULES OF THE PROJECT
1. Device must fit in a 2ft by 2ft by 2ft crate
2. Halogen Lights will be provided in the ELC to model the sun, a single light will be at least 1 ft from the apparatus.
3. Must be able to hold at least 1 liter of water
4. The heated water must be stored in a vessel, and have a method of easy access
5. Cost is limited to $20
6. Recycled materials are encouraged. The use of recycled materials will not add to the total cost of your design.
7. No additional power sources are permitted
8.Two iterations of the design will be constructed and tested.Be sure to note the improvements made to the design for each phase. *Your design must improve with each iteration
TESTING AND REQUIRED CALCULATIONS
1. Final design will be tested by placing the water heated under the provided halogen light
2. One liter of water will be poured into the water heater
3. The initial and final temperatures of the water will be measured and recorded
4. The water heater will have 5 minutes to heat water