health care 46
The United States has a unique system of health care delivery which has evolved over time. Although the U.S. health care delivery system has evolved in response to cost, access, and quality, there are often assertions made about health care delivery in the United States. For example, according to Mary Mahon (2015), VP of Public Information at the Commonwealth Fund, the U.S. spends more on health care than other high-income nations, but has a lower life expectancy and worse health.
Mahon, M. (2015). U.S. spends more on health care than other high-income nations but has lower life expectancy, worse health. Retrieved from http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/press-releases/2015/oct/us-spends-more-on-health-care-than-other-nations
After completing the assigned readings, you should have a basic understanding of the characteristics and components of the U.S. health care delivery system. For the Module 1 Case Assignment, review the following assumptions regarding health care in the U.S (Greenwald, 2010). Although these assumptions are widely publicized, they might be disputed with critical thinking. Evaluate additional literature and consider each of the following assumptions. Explain why you believe the statement is true or false.
- The U.S. spends too much on health care services.
- The poor lack health care.
- The systems in other countries are better.
- The U.S. health care system is in crisis today.
- Health care is a right.
Greenwald, H. (2010). Health care in the United States: Organization, management and Policy. John Wiley & Sons: San Francisco, CA
- Provide a one-paragraph (5-7 sentences) response for each statement.
- Support each of your responses with a scholarly reference (i.e., peer-reviewed journal), using a minimum of five sources.
- Include an introduction and conclusion in your paper.