discussion 5 72
In this Discussion, we want you to consider how the film depicts the profession of journalism in 1940 in a comparative context.
A comparison doesn’t have to show how two things are alike and different. Instead, your comparison should propose an argument about either how two seemingly distinct things have similar effects, or how two similar things end up with different outcomes and WHY that is important.
Task: Write a 400 word essay in which you do ONE of the following:
- compare how much the journalists in the film rely on the telephone to the large role this technology is supposed to play in the work lives of the imaginary reporters described in the Verne story “In the Year 2889” [include 1 quote from the story and 1-2 scenes from the film with time-stamps]
- compare Hildy’s approach to getting a news “scoop” to that of the other journalists who are also camped out at the court house during the film His Girl Friday [for evidence refer to specific scenes or parts of scenes and include a time-stamp for each]
- analyze how the film depicts female characters [more than one] as fulfilling gender expectations for women at the time. Don’t just say that the film’s treatment is sexist. [for evidence include 1 quote from “His Girl Friday and the Agency of Women Journalists in Hollywood” and 1-2 scenes from the film with time-stamps]
1. Hassenger, Jesse. “His Girl Friday Salutes Journalism and the Amazing Rosalind Russell.(Links to an external site.)” AV 11 December 2015.
2. NA. “His Girl Friday and the Agency of Women Journalists in Hollywood. (Links to an external site.)” The Artifice. n.d.
3. Nava Atlas, “10 Pioneering African-American Women Journalists (Links to an external site.).” Literary Ladies Guide. 4 November 2017.
“His Girl Friday (Links to an external site.)” (hyperlink). It’s 1 hour 31 minutes. It may take you to the IU Library CAS Log-in.Watch the whole movie.
-Make sure word count is 390-410
-Make 3 distinct claims that further the argument and demonstrate the ability to synthesize the assigned texts into a complex understanding.
-Provide 3 in-depth specific examples and explains how they prove his/her claims. DIRECT QUOTES only from written materials (cite page #s when available). May use close paraphrase for Film with TIME-STAMPS)
-Respond to two peer responses