Crime and Victimization
Assignment 1: Crime and Victimization
Due Week 4 and worth 220 points
Use the Internet to research three (3) real-life incidents from the past two (2) years that fall under the
Theories of victimization and corresponding examples
Crime that occurred within your community
Write 4 page paper in which you:
1. Summarize one (1) theory of victimization. Support the chosen theory with one (1) real-world
2. Discuss one (1) real-life scenario involving criminal activity and identify the federal, state, and / or
local agency(ies) with jurisdiction. Explain why the agency(ies) that took the case was the
appropriate one for the particular circumstances.
3. Describe one (1) recent incident of crime that occurred within your community. Recommend two
(2) actions that you can take in response to this incident. Predict how implementing at least one
(1) of your recommendations would have changed the circumstances of the crime that you
4. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites
do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all
sides; citations and references must follow APA 6th Edition writing style
o Review the Basics of APA Style Tutorial, located at
o Review a sample paper written in APA 6th Edition formatting at
o Consult your professor for any additional instructions.
Include the following in your paper:
o APA Title Page: Includes the title of the paper, student name, instructor name, course
number and name, university name, and date of submission. The Title and Reference
pages are not included in the required assignment page length. The following video
shows how to write an APA Title Page:
o Introduction and Thesis Statement: Grab the attention of the audience of readers. It
should define the topics of discussion and articulate the problem that will be discussed in
the thesis statement. The thesis statement should be the last sentence of the introductory
paragraph. The thesis statement formula is as follows: the topic + your opinions /
arguments = thesis statement. The following video shows how to write an introduction
and thesis statement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRFhg1aj9k.
Hint: Write the body of the paper first, an introduction next, and then a thesis
o Body of the Paper: Respond to the assignment criteria above.
Hint: Create a thesis statement and headings (review the Basics of APA Style
Tutorial) for each assignment question.