complete 3 law discussions cougar
Please watch this short video NYPDâ€™s Stop-and-Frisk: Racial Profiling or â€œProactive Policingâ€? before participating in the discussion.
The New York Police Department said its controversial policy kept the streets safe, but critics claim it was a form of harassment. What arguments can you think of that counterâ€™s this claim? Is stop-and-frisk a form of harassment? Provide an explanation for your decision.
Your initial post should address the topic and is due no later than 11:59 PM Central Time (CT) on Wednesday. An additional two responses to other classmates posts are due by 11:59 PM Central Time on Sunday.
Your initial post should be at least 8 â€“ 10 sentences in length and at least two of your subsequent posts should be 5 â€“ 7 sentences in length. Remember to support your posting by citing your sources and including a working link to them if available. Sources other than your textbook or course-provided articles or resources will earn the highest scores.
You are a rookie police officer and are riding with a Field Training Officer (FTO). During your shift, the FTO stops at a convenience store and quickly drinks a half-pint of whisky in the back room of the store. The whiskey visibly affects him and the smell of alcohol is very noticeable. What should you do? What if the FTO had just written up a favorable evaluation of you even though you thought you should have received a reprimand for an improper disposition of a traffic accident?
In your post, indicate which of the research topics you will be writing about in your research paper, due in Week 8 of the course.
Choose from one of the following topics:
- The Ethics of Capital Punishment:The paper should minimally present arguments both for and against the death penalty with a focus on the ethical systems that tend to support the various arguments presented.
- Officer Misconduct: The paper should identify and provide examples of police or correctional officer misconduct, with a thorough examination of the possible causes of the behaviors exemplified and suggest options an organization might consider as a way of reducing such instances.
- Use of Force: The paper should identify the various methods used by police or correctional officers in overcoming resistance in arrest or control situations, taking into consideration the Use-of Force Continuum, and identify potential responses to â€œexpectedâ€ or â€œunexpectedâ€ consequences from the pubic or judicial system as a result of employing such tactics.
- Sentencing System Reform: The paper should identify the various systems used in the sentencing of offenders and discuss the effectiveness of such systems. The discussion should take into account the ethics of sentencing disparity and present possible options for reducing such inconsistencies.
- Ethical Considerations in Maintaining A Safe Homeland: The paper should identify the various methods used by the government and local law enforcement agencies in identifying and responding to the domestic and international terrorist threat. Ethical considerations, as well as impacts on personal liberties of such tactics should be examined when presenting the various arguments.