For this discussion:
- Review the main diagnoses in the chapter “Bipolar and Related Disorders” from Section II of theDSM-5.
- What contextual/systemic factors need to be considered when diagnosing individuals with symptoms of depression, mania, hypomania, and bipolar disorders?
- Review the material about the treatment of bipolar disorders
- What are two treatment approaches you would consider using with a client diagnosed with a bipolar disorder?
- What are some advantages and limitations of these approaches?
- Consider the broader contexts and systems in which a person with bipolar symptoms is embedded. Who else might the therapist consider including in the treatment of a client diagnosed with a bipolar disorder to aid in the client’s support and recovery?