written assignment feedback and reflection
Week 3 Assignment
Put yourself into the role of human resource manager. You were just made aware that the incorrect measures have been used. Evaluate the metrics that your peers have suggested to document and improve performance. Do you agree with their recommendations for metrics that should have been used? Describe what steps you would take to correct the situation based on the measures suggested by your classmate.
In your career in human resources, you will likely be in a position to facilitate performance review conversations and meetings, and/or coach managers on how to conduct them. This assignment will provide you with the practice necessary to be effective at providing feedback and is comprised of two parts. Part I is a written feedback submission and Part II will be a written assignment submitted. Both parts are required to complete the assignment.
Part I: Providing Feedback
Review Case Study 9-3, â€œPreventing Defensivenessâ€ attached. In this case study, you will review a dialog between Jeff and his manager, Spencer, as they discuss Jeffâ€™s performance over the previous quarter. Reflect on what Spencer could have done differently to prevent Jeffâ€™s defensiveness and to more productively engage him in a performance discussion.
As the HR director, you will be meeting with Spencer to provide coaching on delivering performance feedback more effectively in future conversations. Consider what you have learned in Chapter 9 about the characteristics of effective feedback. Your written response as if you were speaking with Spencer directly.
Your feedback to Spencer should
- Describe Spencerâ€™s performance.
- Evaluate how Spencer interacted with Jeff and responded to his defensiveness.
- Provide a statement of confidence in support of Spencer.
- Involve Spencer in determining how to improve his performance in the future.
Part II: Written Analysis
Consider the suggestions presented in Chapter 9 of the course text for minimizing defensiveness: (a) establishing and maintaining rapport, (b) being empathetic, (c) observing verbal and nonverbal cues, (d) minimizing threats, and (e) encouraging employee participation. For the second part of your assignment:
- Reflect on your feedback to Spencer by generating alternative statements or actions that you would make.
- Evaluate your verbal and nonverbal response by identifying strengths and areas of opportunity.
- Identify ways of minimizing defensiveness that were not presented satisfactorily.
The Conversation Activity and Written Analysis paper
- formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly and/or credible sources, in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.