What will likely be the reaction of Ms. Miller, Dr. Kincaid, and the program manager when a resolution is decided?
Module 3 – Case
Conflict Management Within the Program
The Case Assignment
Bobby Landon is the current president of Acme General. It is a 300-bed hospital serving a community of 70,000 people. He has just completed a meeting with the hospital administrator, Susy Miller. The meeting was called to address to find an acceptable solution to an apparent conflict between Ms. Miller and the chief of the Barbaric Program, Dr. Kincaid. The problem: The Barbaric Program manager is scheduling the various surgeries in such a way that the providers do not feel they can adequately perform these complicated procedures. They also feel there isn’t proper time allowed between procedures to set up the surgical suite for the next case. The providers feel that the scheduling issues are resulting in poor patient outcomes. It has also been pointed out that the program manager shows favoritism toward some of the providers and allows them more time in the OR and between cases. The problem escalated when Dr. Kincaid fired the program manager after numerous complaints from providers, staff, and patients. The manager talked to Ms. Miller who over-ruled the doctor. She cited that non-clinical staff could not be fired by the program director. After reading this scenario, use the information you have gleaned from your research and the required readings to answer the following questions.
- Identify and discuss at least 3 types of conflict found in a healthcare setting.
- What type of conflict is represented in this scenario? (Justify your response.)
- What is the potential impact on the Barbaric Program and the organization? (Discuss at least three)
- What are some potential solutions? Which one is the best considering all the facts that have been presented?
- What will likely be the reaction of Ms. Miller, Dr. Kincaid, and the program manager when a resolution is decided?
- Be sure to conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to familiarize yourself with the facts of the case and be sure to justify/support your position.
- Limit your responses to a maximum of three pages. Times new roan font 12 pt pleas use subheading
- Please support your discussions with scholarly support (3-5 references). Be sure to properly cite all references.
Apply critical thinking skills the the assignment component.
Brinkley, R. (2011). Conflict coaching training for nurse managers: A case study of two hospital systems. Journal of Nursing Management, 19(1), 80-91.
Patterson, K. (2010). Effects of unresolved conflict on organizational health and performance and conflict resolution training for developing leaders and improving business success. Proceedings of the Northeast Business & Economics Association, 542-546.
Pakistanis, A.; Kaitlin, D.; Theodore, M.; Galvanism, P.; Sourish, P.; Sickout, O. (2011). Conflict management in public hospitals: The Cypress case. International Nursing Review, 58, 242-248.
Spence, H., & Cattleman, J. (2011). Fostering Teamwork in an Intermediate Care Unit. Nursing Management – UK, 18(3), 20-24. Journal of US-China Public Administration, 8(2), 198-220.
Burns, K., Bradley, E., & Seiner, B. (2010). Health Care Management: Organization Design and Behavior (6th ed). Clifton Park, NJ: Engage Learning.
Guzzle, P., Corporation, C., & Magnelli,R. (2011). Law and Metaphors of Inter-Professional Conflicts in Action: The Case of Home-Care Health Professionals of Costanza Provincial Health Action Zone (Italy).
Murdock, K., Adams, S., Pears, E., Ellis, B. (2012). Care giving Load and Pediatric Asthma Morbidity: Conflict Matters. Family, Systems, & Health, 30(2), 101-113.
Wallace, S. (2012). Global Health in Conflict: Understanding opposition to vitamin A supplementation in India. American Journal of Public Health, 102(7), 1286-1297.