what are the needs of marginalized workers
Needs of Marginalized Groups
**THE GROUP I WOULD CHOOSE ARE DISABLED VETERANS
Create an 8-10-page report on the needs of a marginalized group in an organization and ways to meet those needs through workshops, activities, various events, etc. You are expected to be creative in your approach to the issues you discover and expected to use resources in the class as well as original research as you move forward.
Conduct the research necessary for writing a report on an organization’s ability to repair or enhance serving the needs of marginalized workers. Choose the group (women, people of color, elders, people with disabilities, transgender population, etc.) and the organization (which can be fictitious) that your report will be based upon.
In your paper, include the following:
- Choose a group traditionally marginalized in society, one that will need accommodations (not special treatment) to navigate the social structures in organizations, which traditionally hold these groups back in structurally discriminatory ways.
- Choose an organization. One you are familiar with that you know needs the support of an outside professional (you!) who can help them meet the needs of the group you have chosen to support.
- Outline the issues. Be specific and say what the issues are, how the needs are not being met, and how they need to be met.
- Craft a proposal that includes ideas for workshops, speaker series, book clubs, film screenings, outings, whatever comes to mind. The ideas should be well thought-out and mapped to the needs (this is the assessment portion of the assignment).
- Finally, outline strategies and plans of action that the organization can take to be successful with your proposals.
The point of the assignment is to engage in an area of need, create a plan (or plans) of action for the organization, and offer that organization steps toward improvement where you see the needs.
Final Paper Instructions:
- Include an introduction. It must provide a clear statement of your position on the topic.
- Your paper must be at 8-10 pages in length, not counting the title and reference pages, which you must include.
- The paper should synthesize current, relevant research on your topic from at least 5 scholarly sources.
- Offer your conclusions regarding how best to manage the issue (i.e., your informed opinion on the issues raised).
The paper must demonstrate what you have learned about current issues related to experiences of social class and how the many variables we have discussed in class influence society in the U.S. Your paper is expected to have depth and offer a thoughtful analysis on the topic. The paper should be based on references to scholarly materials (rather than on introductory textbooks, popular website writings, or musings). That is, support your claims with evidence.
The most common mistakes in writing an essay are (a) simply summarizing the topic and not analyzing it or discussing your views and (b) failing to relate the subject to the broader context of race, gender, and ethnicity, as discussed in class and as found in the readings. Adequately including the broader contexts includes, considering how your research might yield a different approach to racism or discrimination.
The paper and preliminary deliverable must be well written and formatted in conformity with the APA guide.