week 4 types of exercises and enhancements
2. In your own words, briefly define the role of each of the following: a. Controller b. Participants c. Simulators d. Evaluators e. Safety Officer
3. Design a sample evaluation plan and customize it specifically for a natural hazard (tornado) with people trapped under rubble in need of rescue. Use the samples posted under Course Documents and in Topics. Design a sample evaluation plan and customize it specifically for a natural hazard (tornado) with people trapped under rubble in need of rescue. They are also below as resources. Fill in the plan as a Word document, save and attach. This is a simple activity that will give you an idea of the type of planning that goes into any exercise. Also open the document entitled “Evaluator Checklist.” This would be used by an observer / evaluator to make comments about what worked and what didn’t. You need not fill out that form, or the “Evaluator Checklist II.” These are for your review and edification.
- Cal Hosp – Exercise comparison.docx (14.354 KB)
1. IS 139a Lesson 1 (Review)
2. IS 139a Lesson 2 – Exercise Planning Team (Review)
3. IS 139a Lesson 6 (Yes, I know we’ve skipped 3, 4, 5) – Additional Enhancements
4. HSEEP Volume 2 – Found in
5. California Hospital comparison of exercise type – attached
Moving along the spectrum from least complicated to more advanced exercises, look at the IS 139a lessons to see what characterizes the functional and full scale exercises. See how important it is to build an exercise planning team – and hold regular meetings with specific expected outcomes. How much time does it take to build each? How much time do the players need to commit once it starts? Who does the evaluation? What can you as the exercise developer use to make the exercise realistic? Once again, the HSEEP files will really help.
- HSEEP.pdf (736.999 KB)
Here’s the URL for the full 139a course:
- Evaluator checklist part II.docx (15.425 KB)
- Participant Feedback Form .doc (87.5 KB)