Week 4 Assignment 1 Submission
Click the link above to submit your assignment.
Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 1: Innovation from Googleâ€™s Free Food Strategy
Due Week 4 and worth 300 points
Google is widely known for its workplace creativity and innovation within the technology field. Its search engine is the most extensively used search tool in the world, its data analytics are revolutionary, and it continues to raise the bar for innovation and design with Google Glass, smart watches, and mobile phones. Google has been featured in dozens of technology and business magazines.
Additionally, Fortune Magazineâ€™s list of the â€œBest Companies to Work For 2014â€ has ranked Google number one (#1). This ranking is largely due to employee benefits such as free meals, dry cleaning services, video games, massage therapy, in-door gyms, shuttle services, and affordable daycare services for employees.
In addition to your textbook, review the following articles and videos about Googleâ€™s work culture in preparation for this assignment:
- â€œHow the Googleplex Worksâ€ by Jonathan Strickland, located at http://computer.howstuffworks.com/googleplex2.htm
- â€œGoogle Employees Reveal Their Favorite Perks Working For The Companyâ€ by Kevin Smith, located at http://www.businessinsider.com/google-employee-favorite-perks-2013-3?op=1
- â€œAt Google, Hours Are Long, But the Consomme Is Freeâ€ by Sara Kehaulani Goo, located at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/23/AR2007012300334.html
- â€œGoogle interns’ first weekâ€ (5 min 50 s). Video Source: Google. (2013, June 4). Google interns’ first week [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9No-FiEInLA
- â€œGoogle Great Place to Work Entryâ€ (2 min 46 s). Video Source: IABAustralia. (2008, April 30). Google Great Place to Work Entry [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2nfZPsd794
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Briefly describe Google, its mission, and its business model.
- Analyze the types of people that work at Google, with respect to the business culture of the organization. Indicate one to two (1-2) qualities that define a leader at Google, and determine the typical background of a Google employee.
- Identify two (2) examples of services or amenities that Google provides to its employees, interns, partners, and visitors. Next, examine two to three (2-3) ways in which such free services and amenities create an organizational culture that fosters creativity and innovation. Note: In the context of business, â€œcreativityâ€ means having the ability to conceive something new and original, including ideas, imagination, and things that are outside of the box. â€œInnovationâ€ is the implementation and execution of something new, including products, technology, services, and business models.
- Discuss Googleâ€™s organizational culture, and determine whether or not you would prefer to work in this type of environment. Indicate whether or not Googleâ€™s company culture would help you to perform your tasks with a greater degree of creativity and innovation. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the primary functions of management (planning, organizing, leading, controlling) and the associated skills, tools, and theoretical approaches that can be used to accomplish these functions.
- Explain the principal theories and the various approaches to management that have evolved over time and their application to current management situations.
- Explain the decision-making process management uses to develop viable courses of action to a variety of management situations.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in management concepts.
- Write clearly and concisely about management concepts using proper writing mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric for this assignment.