2. Essay Guidelines. Prepare essay paper, 1000-1500 words in length, using the American Psychological Association (APA) format/writing style. The essay papers will include the following in this order:
1. Title Page
2. Abstract Page ( summary of your paper )
3. Main Body
4. Works cited page (at least four different sources.)
5. Clarity index (see clarity info page)
? Printed on standard white 8.5 x 11-inch paper.
? Times New Roman, double-space, and 12 pt font.
? Leave two spaces after periods and one space after other punctuation marks (unless otherwise instructed by your instructor).
? One (1) inch margins on all sides. Indent the first line of a paragraph one half-inch (five spaces or press tab once) from the left margin.
? Use either italics or underlining throughout your essay for the titles of longer works and, only when absolutely necessary, providing emphasis.
? If you have any endnotes, include them on a separate page before your Works Cited p
SUBJECT: Essay Guidelines
Formatting the First Page of Your Paper (not the Title Page)
a. In the upper left-hand corner of the first page, list your name, your instructor’s name, the course, and the date. Again, be sure to use double-spaced text.
b. Double space again and center the title. Don’t underline your title or put it in quotation marks; write the title in Title Case, not in all capital letters.
c. Use quotation marks and underlining or italics when referring to other works in your title, just as you would in your text, e.g.,
a. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as Morality Play
b. Human Weariness in “After Apple Picking”
d. Double space between the title and the first line of the text.
e. Create a header in the upper left -hand corner that includes the tittle of your essay, followed by a space with a page number; number all pages consecutively with Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.), one-half inch from the top and flush with the right margin.
3. Clarity Index. When Microsoft Word finishes checking spelling and grammar, it can display information about the reading level of the document, including the following readability scores. For your research and theme paper, your documents should contain no more than 10 percent passive sentences in order to receive a satisfactory rating. The Flesch Reading Ease score rates text on a 100-point scale; the higher the score, the easier it is to understand the document. For your document, the standard is a score of approximately 40-60 in order to receive a satisfactory rating. The Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score rates text on a U.S. grade-school level, for example, a score of 8.0 means that an eighth grader can understand the document. For your documents, the standard is a grade level of approximately 10.0 to 13.0 for a satisfactory score.
1) Sentences per Paragraph__________
2) Words per Sentence______________
1) Passive Sentences_______________
2) Flesch Reading Ease_____________
3) Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level_______
a. Cultural Awareness Paper (Individual project) Plagiarism could result in negative counseling and removal from Honors consideration, as well as being removed from ALC. Any questions regarding plagiarism should be addressed prior to final submission of any work.
7. Cultural Awareness Guidelines and Topics.
a. The goal for this essay is to meet TRADOC and the Fires Center of Excellence Commanding General?s intent of implementing Cultural Awareness training into NCOES using the following goals as set by TRADOC:
? Cultural Expertise ? Culture professionals and leaders who possess an advanced level of cross-cultural competence pertaining to a specific geographic area. These Soldiers will be able to evaluate and synthesize terms, factors, concepts, and regional information into plans, programs, and advice to commanders.
? Cultural Understanding ? Soldiers and Leaders, who will be able to apply relevant terms, factors, concepts and regional information to their tasks and missions, as well as analyze situational requirements.
? Cultural Awareness – Soldiers who have foundational cross-cultural competence with comprehension and knowledge to identify and describe key terms, factors, and concepts associated with culture fundamentals and cultural self awareness.
b. Learning Objectives. The purpose of this assignment is to prepare a socio-cultural analysis of an assigned nation/region as discussed in FM 3-24, Counterinsurgency.
? Define the meaning of culture.
? Explain at least five major characteristics that define a culture.
? Describe the common culture characteristics of a region of the world.
? Must address the following areas in the essay:
1. Overview of the assigned nation?s/regions physical geography and military conflict history
? Complex Terrain
SUBJECT: Essay Guidelines
? Urban/Sub Urban Terrain
? Key Infrastructure
? Lines of Communication
? Significant past military conflicts and their impact on the society
2. Weather Analysis
? Effects on population, agriculture, smuggling, insurgency, etc.
3. Civil Consideration: Overview of the factors of ASCOPE (areas, structures, capabilities, organizations, people, and events).
4. More detailed discussion of the ?P? of ASCOPE, people (Society, Social Structure, Culture, Language, Power and Authority, and Interests)