Prepare a short essay on Sona Sotomayor. Your task is to include biographical information and any relevant case law decisions you believe contributed to the individual justice. This assignment will require research beyond your textbook. I have included three websites (See below) to assist you in your research.
Helpful Website in completing this short essay:
- http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- https://www.oyez.org/justices (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/22/opinions/supreme-court-posner-broyde/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Upload your assignment as a PDF
- Expected Length: 1-2 pages, 12 – Times New Roman Format, Double Spaced
- Use grammatically correct business writing that is â€œaudience centered, purposeful, persuasive, and economicalâ€ (M.E. Guffy & D. Loewy, 2010, p. 50).
- (If relevant) Be sure to cite your sources using APA. Please use the American Psychological Association (APA) format to cite your article. Instruction for using APA can be found on line at https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.
- Do not plagiarize.
Important cases She judged
the famous Tarzan murder case and a major child pornography bust.
She gained fame as the judge who “saved” Major League Baseball with her strike-ending decision in Silverman v. Major League Baseball Player Relations Committee, Inc. In another widely read decision, her majority opinion in Castle Rock Entertainment, Inc. v. Carol Publishing Group finding a copyright infringement on material from the television show Seinfeld became a standard for applying the fair use doctrine.
The first case she heard was Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, where she dissented from the majority, which held in favor of the rights of corporations in campaign finance. Her disagreement in that case highlighted the liberal views she has voiced throughout her six years and counting on the court. Sotomayor has specifically fought for the protection of affirmative action programs. She wrote a 58 page dissent in Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, which held that prohibitions to state universities from considering race in admission decisions was constitutional. Sotomayor has also joined the liberal majority on recent landmark cases. She ruled in the majority which upheld the Affordable Care Act twice, and in Obergefell v. Hodges, to legalize same-sex marriage in all 50 states.
Needs help with similar assignment?
We are available 24x7 to deliver the best services and assignment ready within 3-4 hours? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paperGet Answer Over WhatsApp Order Paper Now