scripting for software maintenance
In 2â€“3 pages
As a member of the software development team at your company, you have been asked to provide a plan for how your new GPS goods and services locator software application can provide automatic updates of the required data to your customers. Your task is to develop a plan, and submit it to your development team for implementation.
- Prepare a document to submit your work:
- Use Word.
- Title page
- Course number and name
- Project name
- Student name
- Provide a plan for the software updates:
- Identify the major steps involved in the data file update process, and identify which of the steps can be performed using scripting.
- Select an appropriate scripting language for the tasks that can be performed using scripting, and justify your selection.
- Provide well-documented script code in the selected language for at least 2 of the functions that would be used within the major scripting tasks. For example, the scripted solution may be required to receive a query from a remote computer with a date of the remote computerâ€™s data file, and the script must receive this request and determine if the remote computerâ€™s data file is current.
In 300 words
Software companies have increasingly turned to the Internet to help them maintain the software they have sold or licensed to their customers. Software maintenance tasks include updates of the software and updates to data used by the software.
- Use the Library and Internet to find information about the use of scripting for software maintenance through the Internet.
- Select an application that uses updates on your computer.
- Discuss the type of updates that are performed by this software.
- Identify where scripting might be used in the update process.
- Discuss what the scripting might do and how it would perform the tasks.
- Include at least 1 reference to research sources.
- Cite all references using APA format.