Relationship of Torts to Risk Management
LS311-2: Discuss the relationship of torts to risk management.
GEL-6.06: Apply research to create original insights and/or solve real-world problems.
You are working at eHarbour and learn that eHarbourâ€™s computer system has been attacked by a computer virus from a cybercriminal. An employee of eHarbour inadvertently opened an email with an attachment that appeared to come from the State of Florida Division of Corporations for business registration renewals. The names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card information, and other personal information of all eHarbour customers have been compromised in the data breach.
In your role working as a paralegal or legal assistant for eHarbour, draft a memorandum to Daniel Hudson, the eHarbour general counsel, analyzing potential civil liability for negligence under Florida state law for the data breach. In the memorandum, specifically discuss the elements for negligence and the reasonable person standard. In addition, analyze any potential affirmative defenses that may apply.
Use the memorandum template found here.
Minimum Submission Requirements
- Proper notification of any resubmission, repurposing, or reworking of prior work per the Purdue Global Student Coursework Resubmission, Repurposing, and Reworking Policy Resource.
- This assessment should be a Microsoft Word (minimum 350 words) document, in addition to the title and reference pages.
- Respond to the questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions. Your submission should be highly organized, logical, and focused.
- Your submission should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
- Your writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- Your submission must be written in Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
- A separate page at the end of your submission should contain a list of references in APA format. Use your textbook, the Library, and the internet for research.
- Be sure to include references for all sources and to cite them using in-text citations where appropriate. Your sources and content should follow current APA citation style. Review the writing resources for APA formatting and citation found in Academic Tools. Additional writing resources can be found within the Academic Success Center.
- Your submission should:
- include a title page;
- be double-spaced;
- be typed in Times New Roman, 12 -point font; and
- be free of spelling or punctuation errors.
If the work submitted for this competency assessment does not meet the minimum submission requirements, it will be returned for revision. If the work submitted does not meet the minimum submission requirements by the end of the term, you will receive a failing score.