read the case and answer the questions 5
- Think about Genzyme and its business model. What does a biotech company do? How do they succeed? What is Genzymeâ€™s business model and financial strategy? What does Henri Termeer want for the company going forward?
- What is the business model for Relational Investors? What are their keys to success?
- Why is Relational Investors targeting Genzyme? We have noted that value is creating by investing in projects that return more than the cost of capital. Look at Exhibit 8 of the case. Suppose Genzymeâ€™s cost of capital is 10%. Where is the company creating value? Where is it destroying value? What do you think should be done to improve?
- Evaluate Relational Investorsâ€™ criticisms and Genzymeâ€™s defense for each of the following areas:
- Capital allocation (investing in new projects)
- Share repurchase
- Board of director composition
- Executive pay
- What do you think Genzyme should do about its financial strategy?
- Is there any way Termeer could have avoided this conflict with Whitworth, or was it unavoidable?
prepare a case report consisting of a brief one or two paragraph response to each of the six questions shown above. Limit your response to 4 pages, double-spaced, 12-point font and 1-inch margin. Write clearly, using proper grammar and punctuation.