PsychoTherapy Disc 8
Wk8 Psychotherapy Discussion: Comparing Existential-Humanistic Therapy to Other Types of Therapy
Open Discussion 3 pages.
“I selected Cognitive Behavioral Therapy”
· Post a summary of the psychotherapy that you selected and explain why it resonates with you the most at this time.
· Then compare the psychotherapy you selected with existential-humanistic therapy.
· What are the strengths and challenges of each type of psychotherapy?
· Describe a fictional client named (J.U) that you think would be best suited for the therapy (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) you selected, and one fictional client named (P. A) you think would be best suited for existential-humanistic therapy.
· Explain why.
· Support with at least three evidence-based literature.
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
· Chapter 10, “Humanistic-Existential and Solution-Focused Approaches to Psychotherapy” (Review pp. 369–406)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Nagy, T. F. (2011). Ethics in psychotherapy. In Essential ethics for psychologists: A primer for understanding and mastering core issues (pp. 185–198). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. doi:10.1037/12345-010
Sommers-Flanagan, J., & Sommers-Flanagan, R. (2013). Counseling and psychotherapy theories in context and practice [Video file]. Mill Valley, CA: Psychotherapy.net.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2012b). Clinical supervision follow-up [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: This is a follow-up to the Thompson family media piece in Week 5. The approximate length of this media piece is 9 minutes.