physics multiple choice 6
An excited atom decays to its ground state and emits a photon of green light. If, instead, the atom decayed to an intermediate state, then the light emitted could be
A nuclear process that has relatively few radioactive byproducts is
- neither fission nor fusion.
- both fission and fusion.
The phenomenon of inducing voltage by changing the magnetic field around a conductor is called
- electromagnetic induction.
- Faradayâ€™s induction.
- transformer induction.
A motor takes ___________________ and turns it into ___________________.
- electrical energy, mechanical energy
- work, power
- mechanical energy, electrical energy
Isotopes of the same element have the same
- number of neutrons.
- number of protons.
- number of nucleons.
Which force field can deflect an electron, but never change its speed?
- electric field
- magnetic field
- both electric and magnetic fields
What is the best way to describe the strong force?
- an attractive magnetic force
- a repulsive electric force
- an attractive nuclear force
According to Faradayâ€™s law, what can you change in order to increase the induced voltage in a coil?
- decrease the number of loops
- decrease the rate at which the magnetic field changes
- increase the cross-sectional area of each loop
When uranium (92 protons) ejects an alpha particle, the nucleus left behind has
- 92 protons.
- 90 protons.
- 94 protons.
What is the direction of the magnetic field outside a magnet?
- from the north pole to the south pole
- from the south pole to the north pole
- from the north pole outward in all directions
In an electromagnetic wave, the electric and magnetic fields are _________ to each other and _________ to the direction of wave motion.
- at right angles, perpendicular
- parallel, at right angles
- at right angles, parallel
According to de Broglie, why do electrons occupy discrete energy levels?
- The electron is a wave that must orbit as a standing wave.
- The electron is a wave that must have a whole number frequency.
- The electron is a particle that must have a specific energy.
The element with the least mass per nucleon is
De Broglie suggested that all particles have a wavelength that is inversely related to the momentum of the particles.