Patient Education Plan
Patient Educational Plan
As a nurse at Memorial Hospital, a large city hospital, you provide care to diverse patients. As you work the nursing units at the hospital, you engage with the electronic health records of hundreds of patients each day as a way of accessing, recording, and developing guidelines for safe and quality patient care. Today, you have accessed the patient portal to help you develop and design educational materials for your patient. As you review the pertinent information in the patient portal, you begin considering how you will communicate these educational materials to your patient. After gathering your thoughts and obtaining the necessary history and medical needs of your patient, you are ready to create and deliver this educational plan to your patient.
Click each of the items below for more information on this Assessment.
Design and create an educational plan (brochure or pamphlet) that addresses the following for your selected patient:
- Include relevant health information necessary to educate your patient on their healthcare needs.
- Describe and define the health diagnoses, treatments, and at least one medication listed in the patient portal.
- Explain relevant statistics and individual health vital signs related to the patientâ€™s medical history.
- Recommend additional reputable sources of support for patients with similar health needs/diagnoses.
- Consider the context of your individual patient, and be sure to include any recommendations on how to access sources of support based on racial/ethnic background or culture, socioeconomic status, educational background, health literacy, and linguistic proficiency.
- Adhere to health literacy guidelines for your individual patient.
- Address each of the six areas from the â€œChecklist for Easy-to-Understand Print Materials.â€
- Make your educational plan visually appealing and relevant to your individual patient.
- Support the development of your educational plan by consulting and referencing 3 to 5 reputable sources.
- Ensure that your educational plan is 1 to 2 pages in length; include a separate page for you reference list.