PAD 540 assignment 1
Assignment 1: Event Analysis
Research a major international political event in the past three years that has impacted the United States foreign policy (i.e. the September 11 attacks on the U.S). The event that you select will be used for all assignments in this course. Therefore, before selecting the event, read through the descriptions of Assignments 2, 3, and 4 to ensure that the details of the event that you have chosen are substantial enough to be sustained across four (4) assignments.
Use the basic outline below to draft your paper. Organize your responses to each question (except Question 6) under the following section headings:
- Part I: [Name of Select Major International Event]
- Introduction (for Question 1)
- Major Issues (for Question 2)
- International Community (for Question 3)
- Key Political Roles (for Question 4)
- Foreign Policy Decisions (for Question 5)
Write a six to seven (6-7) page paper in which you separate the content into sections:
- Describe the historical perspective of the event you have chosen to both the U.S. and the international community.
- Produce a summary of all the major issues that you believe led to the occurrence of the political event taking place.
- Specify three (3) main effects that the political event had on the international community as a whole. Provide a rationale to your response.
- Analyze the key political roles and the non-state roles of the main participants of the event. Assess the extent of each participant’s involvement in the political event.
- Specify the major factors that you believe affected the foreign policy decisions made by the governments involved in the political event. Provide a rationale to your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Evaluate the theories and systems of international politics.
- Analyze how international politics influences the various levels of public administration and its effect on groups and individuals.
- Describe the major developments in international politics and how they have evolved.
- Assess how the major assumptions of international relations have shaped public policy.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in international public administration.
- Write clearly and concisely about international public administration using proper writing mechanics.