our dependence upon the environment 9
Wk 3-Assignment 1
Ground and Surface Water Interactions Laboratory
This lab enables you to design models of different scenarios that affect the earthâ€™s surface water and groundwater.
Take the required photos and complete all parts of the assignment (calculations, data tables, etc.). On the â€œLab Worksheet,â€ answer all of the questions in the â€œLab Questionsâ€ section. Finally, transfer all of your answers and visual elements from the â€œLab Worksheetâ€ into the â€œLab Report.â€ You will submit both the â€œLab Reportâ€ and the â€œLab Worksheetâ€ to Waypoint.
Making sure to complete all of the following items before submission:
- Before you begin this assignment, read the The Scientific Method (Links to an external site.)presentation video. and review
- Follow the instructions in the manual to complete Activities 1, 2, and 3 using materials in your kit, augmented by additional materials that you will supply. Photograph each activity following these instructions:
- When taking lab photos, you need to include in each image a strip of paper with your name and the date clearly written on it.
- Complete all parts of the and answer all of the questions in the â€œLab Questionsâ€ section.
- Transfer your responses to the lab questions and data tables and your photos from the â€œLab Worksheetâ€ into the â€œLab Reportâ€ by downloading the .
Wk 3-Assignment 2
Sustainable Living Guide Contributions, Part 3 of 4: Sustaining Our Water Resources
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please review Chapter 5: Water, in Turk and Benselâ€™s Contemporary Environmental Issues textbook (2014). The purpose of this assignment is twofold: first, to enable you to explore a term (concept, technique, place, etc.) related to this weekâ€™s theme of sustaining our water resources; second, to provide your third contribution to a collective project, the Class Sustainable Living Guide. Your work this week, and in the weeks that follow, will be gathered (along with that of your peers) into a master document you will receive a few days after the end of the course. The document will provide everyone with a variety of ideas for how we can all live more sustainably in our homes and communities.
You will first need to select a term from the list of choices in the Week 3 – Term Selection Forum. USE THE TERM: DROUGHTS
Reply to the forum with the term that you would like to research. Do not select a term that a classmate has already chosen. No two students will be researching the same topic.
- Next, download the Week 3 Assignment Template and replace the guiding text with your own words based upon your online research. Please do not include a cover page. All references, however, should be cited in your work and listed at the end, following APA format expectations.
In the template, you will
- Define the term thoroughly.
- Clearly relate the term to the weekâ€™s theme.
- Explain how the term affects living things and the physical world.
- Relate the term to the challenge of achieving environmental sustainability.
- Justify if the term represents an obstacle to that goal, or perhaps a technique or technology that might promote it.
- Suggest two specific actions we can take to promote sustainability in relationship to this term.
- Provide detailed examples to support your ideas.
- Must be three paragraphs in length (not including title, any quoted material, and references) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Centerâ€™s APA Style (Links to an external site.) resource.
- Must cite the following three sources at minimum:
- The class textbook, or provide a URL formatted according to APA standards to the resource in case your term was not in the text.
- A scholarly source.
- A credible source.
- To aid you in your research, and particularly in locating scholarly sources via the Ashford Library or using Google Scholar, please review the following Ashford videos and tutorials:
- Scholarly and Popular Resources (Links to an external site.)
- How to Use FindIt@AU (Links to an external site.)
- Database Search Tips (Links to an external site.)
- Research, Keywords, and Databases: An Overview (Links to an external site.)
- Accessing Full Text and Citation in Google Scholar (Links to an external site.)
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Centerâ€™s Citing Within Your Paper guide (Links to an external site.).
- (Links to an external site.)Must include a separate references list that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.