music marketing campaign analysis and comparison
As Igor Stravinsky, William Faulkner, Pablo Picasso, Steve Jobs, and others have said:
“Good artists borrow, great artists steal.”
In this week’s assignment, we’ll review and critique two separate music marketing campaigns with an eye towards getting comfortable with identifying what works, what doesn’t work, as well as techniques we can “steal” for our own use down the line.
- First, choose two music-related companies that are currently engaging in some level of marketingâ€”online marketing, print marketing, email marketing, web marketing, etc. Options could include streaming music services (Spotify, Apple Music, etc.), musical instrument manufacturers (Fender, Zildjian, etc.), music software companies (Propellerhead, Ableton Live, Avid, etc.), or any other music-related companies of your choosing. If you have the opportunity to join an email list, please do.
- After you have picked two companies to compare and contrast, please answer the following questions in two separate documentsâ€”one for each company you are analyzing:
- Name of company
- What type of marketing were you exposed to? Online, offline, email, other?
- Can you tell from the images, headline, or other creative aspects who the target demographic for this company is?
- Is it clear what the company’s goal for the ad was? What might you have done differently to improve on this goal?
- Are there any acquisition components present in the advertising you were exposed to?
- How personalized was the advertising to you? Was the ad aligned to something you were interested in?
- Would the marketing you were exposed to be successful in having you take an action? Basically, do you think the marketing works?
- Which of the two companies do you feel is more effective with their marketing? Explain why.
- Include any visuals that might help support your analysis and make sure you provide references and cite all your sources according to APA guidelines.
- Please upload your final submission as two PDF files. Label them LastName_L01a_BusinessOfMusicMarketing.pdfand LastName_L01b_BusinessOfMusicMarketing.pdf (e.g., Smith_L01a_BusinessOfMusicMarketing.pdf andSmith_L01b_BusinessOfMusicMarketing.pdf).