law 1289813 2
PART I: WRITING ASSIGNMENT
Task #1: Research a local law enforcement agency website and provide a one page summary including the following information outlining the steps for obtaining a job as a law enforcement professional with that agency. Please include APA citations as necessary. Please visit the Academic Resource Center for a concise guide on APA format.
- •Briefly describe the law enforcement agency and its purpose, and provide its website address.
- •What are the desired qualities for candidates?
- •What are the prerequisites for application?
- •What various tests are used for qualification of recruits?
- •What is the length of academy training and what is included in the training?
- •What do you see as the style of law enforcement used by this agency? How do you know?
- •What challenges do you see in recruitment for this agency?
Task #2: Select one of the following positions, and write a one page job description for the position. Job descriptions can be based on those from local agencies, but do not copy anyone’s job description. You may use the internet to locate sample job description formats.
- •Police Chief
- •Middle Management (Captain or Lieutenant)
- •First-line Supervisor (Sergeant)
PART II: JOURNAL ACTIVITY
Review the website of any large law enforcement agency (e.g., a large city police department, large county sheriff’s office, state police agency, or a large federal law enforcement agency) and write a 200-400 word essay (1-2 pages, 12-point font, double spaced) about the recruitment and application process required for sworn law enforcement officers in the agency. Be specific about what standards must be met, what physical tests are required, and what screening processes must be passed to be successfully hired.