In a 3-5 page paper
You are a member of a special behavioral science unit for Homeland Security. The director of a large geographical sector in the United States would like a report for his division heads on the differences between the sociopath and the psychopath. He would like to have a comprehensive report about this phenomenon in mental health. It is imperative that the personnel who come in contact with these types of personalities understand what they are dealing with, why the subjects are the way they are, and what to expect in terms of reaction to the involvement of authorities. The director is unclear as to the difference between the two.
In a 3–5 page position paper, respond to the following questions based on the scenario:
- Describe the mental state of the sociopath and psychopath. How are they similar and how do they differ?
- Articulate which of the two personalities presents the biggest threat to Homeland Security and law enforcement, and why?
- Relate how an agent for Homeland Security could identify an individual as having a psychotic personality in terms of the sociopath and psychopath.
- In a subject interview with a sociopath and a psychopath, which approaches would you use, respectively?
It is critical that, when you make a statement of fact in your presentation, you cite the reference that you used to obtain the information from. Do this in the text of the paper, and then include the reference in your References page. As always, your paper will be submitted in the current edition of APA format. No abstract is required because this is a short position paper, but a title page, reference page, and appropriate running header with page numbers are necessary.
In 3-5 paragraphs
You are the special agent-in-charge of the area field office for the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Assistant U.S. Attorney (AUSA) has asked you about a homicide in which a hostage taker took a gas station attendant and two customers hostage. After a brief standoff with negotiators, the hostage taker shot his three hostages and then turned the gun on himself. A surviving family member of the suspect was in contact with the AUSA’s office and related that the hostage taker was suffering from an affect system disorder. The AUSA would like to discuss the concepts of unipolar affect disorder and bipolar affect disorder (BAD). In a meeting set with the AUSA, you will explain the two disorders and why it is likely that they contributed to the deaths of the hostages and hostage taker.
Please respond to the following questions. You must provide meaningful feedback to the main postings of at least two of your classmates:
- What is the difference between unipolar disorder and bipolar disorder?
- What is considered to be appropriate treatment for persons suffering from these disorders?
- Is the use of pharmaceuticals to treat these disorders enough to return persons into the community to function normally? Why?