historical object paper
- Historical object you selected: SELECTED OBJECT IS= COLIMA DOG
- 4 scholarly, library sources (books, e-books, academic journals)
- One of the four needs to be a primary source
- One of the four needs to be a secondary source
Prompt: What is your historical object, why was it important/significant, and how was it used (in the time and place it was created)?
Things to consider when answering the prompt:
– Your argument/thesis statement is your answer to the prompt.
– Why it is important and what it teaches us about the time and place are related questions that do not need to be answered separately.
– You should have more than one reason for why it is important. Each of these reasons should be discussed in the body of the paper.
– Make sure the reasons listed in the argument/thesis statement are specific.
Unspecific argument: The Emancipation Proclamation is important because it helped African Americans.
Specific argument: The Emancipation Proclamation is important because it freed slaves in Confederate states, it allowed African American men to enlist in the Union Army, and it led to the passage of the the thirteenth amendment.
– Underline your argument so you and I both know what it is
Papers will be 5-6 pages in length and will follow standard formatting (typed, double-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins). The paper needs to include examples from four academic/scholarly sources, be written in an essay format, and advance an argument.
Students must complete the following steps:
- Use your 2-3 page outline (MY OUTLINE IS ATTACHED BELOW) as the foundation for writing your 5-6 page paper. Include 4 or more academic/scholarly sources and your historical object in your paper. Papers must be at least 5 FULL pages long and follow standard formatting (typed, double-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins).
- Use and cite all of the academic/scholarly used. All information needs to be cited. Cite sources in your paper using in-text MLA style citations. e.g. (Jimenez 105) so I know where the information that you are discussing came from. In addition, to the 5 full pages of text, you need to have a Work cited page listing all of the sources used in the paper. Provide a full citation for each source including: authorâ€™s full name, source name, publisherâ€™s name and location, and the publication date.
â–¡ 5-6 page length, used standard formatting (5 FULL pages = down to the bottom of the 5th page)
â–¡ Essay format: introduction, body paragraphs, conclusion
â–¡ Clearly written, proofread, and spell-checked
â–¡ Specifically answered all parts of the prompt
â–¡ Underlined argument and supported it well with examples from sources
â–¡ Used all required sources and cited them correctly
â–¡ Submitted a Works Cited page with 4 or more academic/scholarly sources
â–¡ Sources listed in Works Cited page were all used in the paper and cited