* Compare and contrast Plato and Aristotle’s view of politics as the exercise of reason and moral virtue.
– Please answer this question in essay form. You are expected to demonstrate an understanding of the theorists and concepts we have studied.
– Your essay must contain parenthetical citations from the lessons, primary sources, and web resources.
– It is double-spaced with a FULL two-page limit; this prevents you from giving a thorough analysis on both Plato and Aristotle as you could spend 50 pages discussing this topic. Here are some suggestions on how to prepare your paper:
- Avoid an introduction. Start the first section with a good opening statement.
- Use about 400 words to describe each authorâ€™s main views on politics, reason, and virtue (split evenly between the two authors). You should have one section on Plato and another on Aristotle; do not use headers, just good transitional sentences.
- For the compare and contrast section (about 200 pages), use each authorâ€™s arguments to critique the other. For example, use Plato to show how Aristotle lacks depth in his views or is wrong in specific assumptions. Then, use Aristotle to critique Plato.
- The conclusion is the least important part of your paper. Keep this to about 70 words and simply recap the main ideas discussed in your paper. Avoid first-person conclusions here (and first/second person throughout the paper). Keep it short and simple.
- Please note the above suggestions assumes your paper will be approximately 680 words, which is the normal length for a two-page paper. This format should also help you quickly formulate a quality paper that focuses on major elements/themes in broad works.