consider an interpersonal interaction you have had recently that was not as effective as it could have been
This week we read and discussed how interaction is modeled and how our perceptions influence those interactions. We also considered the value of verbal and nonverbal messages.
For your first assignment you are to consider an interpersonal interaction you have had recently that was not as effective as it could have been. Using the communication model as your guide, respond to the following questions.
- Briefly describe the situation.
- Who were the communicators?
- Identify three channels that were used during the interaction.
- Describe the communication context (social, temporal, psychological, and physical aspects). How did each aspect affect interaction?
- What interference (noise) was present during your interaction?
- In what ways did your differing perceptions alter how you interpreted the experience?
- How did the verbal messages used affect the interaction? Did you use positive or negative words? How much ambiguity was employed?
- How did the nonverbal messages used affect the interaction? What intentional nonverbal messages were sent? What unintentional messages were sent?
- Do you think you accurately decoded messages from the other individual? Why or why not?
- Do you think your messages were accurately decoded by the receiver? Why or why not?
Your submission should be 2-3 pages in length and demonstrate an understanding and application of concepts presented in the text and during class sessions.