compare and contrast plato and aristotle on the nature of form and matter how does aristotle reconcile platonic dualism in his view of the unification of essences within material reality
Using the text and online resources in this module, evaluate any video, and respond to one of the following focused questions in at least 500 words. (Be sure to cite online sources by author or title and date as well as Web address/URL.) Also, respond to two classmates (at least 100 words).
In your original responses, be sure to cite primary source quotations in the words of the philosophers in addition to secondary source information about their ideas.
- Primary source: Descartes reached the conclusion, “cogito ergo sum” (Descartes).
- Secondary source: Descartes methodological doubt led to the certainty of the mind or thinking subject. (Morgan)
- Compare and contrast Plato and Aristotle on the nature of form and matter. How does Aristotle reconcile Platonic dualism in his view of the unification of essences within material reality? (Use primary source quotations from both philosophers.)
- Explain Descartes method in his Meditations on First Philosophy. How does does his doubt lead to the certainty of “cogito ergo sum.” How did this realization lead to the mind-body problem in modern philosophy? (Use primary source quotations in your response in addition to secondary sources.)
Metaphysics and the Nature of Reality
- Read this Introduction to Metaphysics.
- Discover the meaning of Metaphysics in Philosophy.
- Read about Plato’s Metaphysics.
- See this explanation of Aristotle on Metaphysics.
- Read about the Four Causes to understand Aristotle’s concept of change.
- See this comparison/contrast between Plato and Aristotle.
- Video: See this crash course on the Nature of Reality. (9:02)
- Video: Watch this ppt lecture on Plato and Aristotle on Metaphysics.
- Video: Watch this introductory video on Metaphysics. (2:29)
- Video: Watch this video on Are We Real? (48:28)
Key Philosophers on Metaphysics
- Scan these Notes on the Presocratic Philosophers.
- Find out more about the Atomism of Democritus.
- Read about Plato’s Middle Period Metaphysics and Epistemology.
- Find out about the Metaphysics of Aristotle and his Forms and Souls.
- Search Aristotle’s Metaphysical Books.
- Video: Listen to the story of Plato’s Myth of the Cave. (7:16)
- Video: See this introduction to Plato on the Forms. (3:59)
- Video: Watch to this lecture on Plato’s Theory of Forms. (9:26) (beta CC available)
- Video: See this crash course on Aristotle. (7:30)
- Video: Watch this video on Aristotle and the Purpose of Life. (9:07)
Descartes on Metaphysics
- See this introduction to Descartes.
- Read more about Descartes’ Life and Works in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Video: Watch this video introduction to Descartes. (8:48)
(Learning Objectives Supported: 1b, 2a, 3b, 4a, 4b)