CO 2: Recognize the influence that developmental stages have on physical, psychosocial, cultural, and spiritual functioning. (PO #1)
Part One of the Assignment.
To create a Patient Teaching Plan aimed at educating a specific patient population about a specific health topic. This plan will be used to develop a Visual Teaching Tool in a future assignment.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
- CO 2: Recognize the influence that developmental stages have on physical, psychosocial, cultural, and spiritual functioning. (PO #1)
- CO 4: Identify teaching/learning needs from the health history of an individual. (PO #2)
This assignment is worth 125 points.
NR305 focuses on nursing assessment, and the identification of opportunities to prevent disease and improve health of patients. An important professional role for nurses is to provide teaching to patients based on knowledge deficits identified during assessment.
Prior to beginning this assignment, follow the link to read the article below. The information related to adult learning and barriers to understanding will be helpful when planning how to best educate your selected population.
Beagley, L. (2011). Educating patients: Understanding barriers, learning styles, and teaching techniques. Journal of Paranesthesia Nursing, 26(5), 331-337. permalink (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Please read all directions carefully before you begin.
- Click to download the Patient Teaching Plan Form (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Type your answers directly into this Word document and submit. The use of correct terminology, grammar, and spelling is important! Any references and citations used should be written in APA format. Please utilize in-text citations when appropriate, and list all references in the space provided at the end of the worksheet.
- You are required to complete the form using the productivity tools required by Chamberlain University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format. Do NOT save as Word Pad. A later version of the productivity tool includes Office 365, which is available to Chamberlain students for FREE by downloading from the student portal at http://my.chamberlain.edu (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Click on the envelope at the top of the page.
- Health Topic: Decide WHAT you would like to teach. Describe in detail why this is an important topic for patient education. Use evidence from the textbook, lesson or an outside scholarly source to support your rationale.Select from the following health topics to complete your Patient Teaching Project: