biology paper 1545381 2
Evaluating Your Own Risk for Inherited Disease
For this assignment you will think about your individual health and health risks. What genetic diseases or problems might you face during your lifetime? Predisposition to heart disease, breast cancer, diabetes? You may consider your own health risks or those of other individuals such as a family member or friend. Then, in a paper of 750-1,000 words, address the following issues:
- What genetic diseases or problems were determined to be potential issues?
- Provide an introduction of the disease, outlining the major signs/symptoms of the disorder and the reason why this was selected as a genetic/inherited disease?
- Research the mode of inheritance for this disease/trait? Why? If you’re not able to find a specific mode of inheritance, provide a hypothesis for the mode of inheritance. Explain your thinking here very thoroughly; this should take up about half of the length of the Assignment.
- What other information would help you draw better conclusions about this disease?
- What problems did you encounter in gathering information about your family’s history or that of the person you interviewed?
- If you were to have a child, what could you tell him or her about his/her chances of inheriting the diseases based upon your research about the inheritability of the trait you are researching?
Finally, visit the KU library by clicking on the “Library” link on the KU Campus homepage. Select the option to perform an advanced search. Find two references that pertain to the disease/trait you selected. Record the methods that you used to discover these sources, and answer the following questions:
- Which search term(s) did you use?
- Did you use combinations of search terms?
- Which methods resulted in the most “hits” or results?
- Did you refine any of your searches? In other words, did you perform an initial search and then further narrow the results?
Also, briefly explain whether the references support or contradict your previous conclusions.
A special feature is available to help you with reviewing your Unit 7 Assignment for plagiarism. When you submit your Assignment to the Unit 7 Dropbox, your Assignment will automatically be analyzed by the plagiarism detection tool, Turnitin. Soon after you submit your Assignment, you will be able to view the Turnitin Originality Report. Originality Reports provide a summary of matching or highly similar text found in a submitted paper. When an Originality Report is available for viewing, an icon will appear in the report column of the Assignment Inbox. Originality Reports are only available in the InBox. For this reason, you will need to download the report prior to the grading of the Unit 7 Assignment. To do this, click on the print icon at the bottom of the Originality Report. This will prepare a readable, PDF version of the Originality Report that you can save to your computer.
Submitting Your Assignment
Save your copy of the Assignment in a location and with a name that you will remember. Be sure to use the “Save As” option to include your first and last name in the title of the document. For example, your Assignment might be called Shawn_Edwards_Unit 7.doc. Please remember that all of your Assignments must be formatted as per APA formatting guidelines.
When you are ready to submit your Assignment, click on the Dropbox and complete the steps below:
- Click the link that says Submit an Assignment
- In the “Submit to Basket” menu, select Unit 7: Assignment
- In the “Comments” field, include at least the title of your paper.
- Click the Add Attachments button.
- Follow the steps listed to attach your Word document.
- To view your graded work, come back to the Dropbox or go to the Gradebook after your instructor has evaluated it. Click the Dropbox to access it.
- Make sure that you save a copy of your submitted Assignment.