Assignment 2: LASA # 1: Literature Review Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to provide you with the opportunity to select a topic in the particular area in which you have an occupational or research interest, and to complete a literature review of the topic, using a minimum of ten scholarly references. This will allow you to demonstrate mastery of the program outcomes for the B.A. psychology program at Argosy University. A helpful Web site for organizing and writing a literature review is www.wisc.edu/writing/Handbook/ReviewofLiterature.html.
You may also want to review the following documents that are available in the Doc Sharing area of the course:
- A sample literature review,
- a PowerPoint document illustrating how to set up your word processor for APA style
- a â€œGuide for Writing a Literature Reviewâ€
Based on your review of the most recent, relevant research findings on your chosen topic, submit a final version of your literature review paper, integrating feedback received from your instructor. Be sure to include a research/focal question, synthesis of the literature you reviewed, well-established conclusions, and points of discussion and/or future research.
- Begin the review by defining the objective of the paper. Introduce the reader to your focal question. What is this question intended to address? You may state your â€œquestionâ€ in the form of a problem if you like. Describe the topic for your literature review and why you chose this topic. Explain why you think it is important. It is also useful to tell the reader how the review is organized in your introduction section, before you the transition into the body of the review.
- Organize your literature review paper by themes/theories/concepts, rather than article by article. If there is one major theme you want to highlight, state the theme. If there are three major themes or streams of thought on the topic, briefly name themâ€”and then organize the balance of your literature review around those three streams. Think of themes, theories, concepts, lines of thought, and ideas as organizing strategies for your literature review. Your creativity in this assignment is not the content or findings but the clarity with which you organize the review and create a context for understanding the focal question.
- When you are done introducing the first line of thought, create a new paragraph to discuss studies which present another line of thought or opposing view.
- Your literature review should hit the high points of each article. You should not discuss a single article, one by one, like a grocery list. Zero in on the main theme or finding and then move on to the next theme. Remember, this is a synthesis, an integration of all the things you have learned. You are creating a discussion on paper, which in turn gives the reader a context for understanding where the scholarship has been, where it is currently, and where it likely will be heading next. Provide enough details to help the reader understand the significance of the studies you cite without â€œrebuilding Rome.â€ Be sure to evaluate the studies and offer critical comments on any shortcomings youâ€™ve observed or that have been reported by the authors.
- Discuss the main findings and their implications. Given the results of your literature review, what is/are the prevailing argument(s)? What research question could you ask in order to further develop this area of study and contribute to the existing body of knowledge? Complete your review by drawing conclusions about your body of research and identifying gaps in the research which still remain to be explored, maybe even by you! Make an argument as to why your research question is important and relevant to the current work being done on your topic.
Apply current APA standards for editorial style, expression of ideas, and formatting of the text, headings, citations, and references. Remember to use your own words to describe and evaluate the articles. Avoid quoting the material and also cite works when you are discussing someone elseâ€™s ideas. Your paper should be double-spaced and in 12 point, Times New Roman font with normal one-inch margins, written in APA style, and free of typographical and grammatical errors. It should include a title page with a running head, an abstract and a reference page. The body of the paper should be no less than 5â€“6 pages in length.
Submit your review paper to the M3: Assignment 2 Dropbox by Wednesday, August 16, 2017.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Description of the focal question or problem is clear and thorough.
Explanation of the relevance of the topic to the field of psychology is clear.
Analysis of themes, theories, or concepts is clear and complete.
Discussion of articles clearly relates to those themes, theories, or concepts (instead of discussing each article individually).
Choice of articles is appropriate, both in quality and quantity: they directly address the thesis.
Their evaluation is based on their relation to themes, theories, or concepts.
Evaluation includes discussion of the methodology, and a discussion of any obvious shortcomings.
Provides well-supported conclusions.
Suggestions for future research are appropriate and discuss how future research will contribute to the field.
Introduction has a clear opening, provides background information, and states the topic.
The paper is organized around an arguable, clearly stated thesis statement.
Transitions are appropriate and help the flow of ideas.
Conclusion summarizes main argument and has a clear ending.
conventions of spelling and grammar throughout. Errors are infrequent
and do not interfere with readability or comprehension.
Using APA format, accurately paraphrased, quoted, and cited in many spots throughout when appropriate or called for. Errors present are somewhat minor.
Writing remains in third person throughout writing.
Word choice is accurate, clear and appropriate for the audience.
Comments Faculty FEEDBACK for assignment
were off to a good start with this assignment, Yolanda. Your assignment
met the minimum page count and you had enough articles. Your topic
continues to be very broad. As suggested, you may want to focus on ONE
type of factor that influences drug use in teens (i.e. psychosocial
factors, family issues, etc.). Your paper is well written and you do
look at some studies but for the LASA there are some additional
requirements- please see the criteria and assignment instructions to be
sure to incorporate those areas. Your writing is very awkward to read,
however. You also have a lot of awkward usage in your paper. On page 2
alone, in the first paragraph you have “the unselective understanding in
substance abuse” (What does that mean?), “drug abusing,” “has become
communal” (do you mean they share drugs or did you mean common or
frequent here?), “substance abuse has revealed a sporadic growth” (how
did “substance abuse” reveal anything? Do you mean the data reveals
this? Or something else?), etc. You also have some issues with your
in-text citations like “According to (Abdi…)..” if you are referring
to the authors include them in the text, not parentheses: “According to
Abdi, Ruiter, and Adal (2015)… ” Please be sure to go through this
paper with a fine toothed comb. I gave you several examples from the
first paragraph alone. You may want to check into editing services
through the school or tutoring to help you with the writing and usage
issues. You also need to work on your APA formatting for your reference
page. Also, be sure to include all required elements for the LASA due
next week. Finally, this was submitted one day late and as such, subject
to a 5% late penalty.
Assignment 3 Grading Criteria
Refined and elaborated the paper topic.
Organized the findings into a draft.
Identified supporting or contrasting themes.
Generated an original hypothesis.
Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources, displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
30/50 – 3 pts late penalty=27
Needs help with similar assignment?
We are available 24x7 to deliver the best services and assignment ready within 3-4 hours? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paperGet Answer Over WhatsApp Order Paper Now