Assignment 2: Episodic Visit: Gastrointestinal or Genitourinary Condition Focused Note
Please ensure you include the ICD-10 codes
Focused Notes are a way to reflect on your practicum experiences and connect the experiences to the learning you gain from your weekly Learning Resources. Focused Notes, such as the ones required in this practicum course, are often used in clinical settings to document patient care.
For this Assignment, you will work with a pediatric patient with gastrointestinal or genitourinary condition that you examined during the last 3 weeks, and complete a Focused SOAP Note Template in which you will gather patient information, relevant diagnostic and treatment information, and reflect on health promotion and disease prevention in light of patient factors, such as age, ethnic group, past medical history (PMH), socio-economic status, cultural background, etc. In this weekâ€™s Learning Resources as well as prior weekâ€™s resources, please refer to the Focused Note resources for guidance on writing Focused Notes.
Note: All Focused Notes must be signed, and each page must be initialed by your preceptor. When you submit your Focused Notes, you should include the complete Focused Note as a Word document and pdf/images of each page that is initialed and signed by your preceptor. You must submit your Focused Notes using SafeAssign.
Note: Electronic signatures are not accepted. If both files are not received by the due date, faculty will deduct points per the Walden Late Policies.
- Review the Focused Note Checklist provided in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources and consider how you will develop your Focused Note for this weekâ€™s Assignment.
- Use the Focused SOAP Note Template found in the Learning Resources for this week to complete this Assignment.
- Select a patient with gastrointestinal or genitourinary condition that you examined during the last 3 weeks. With this patient in mind, address the following in a Focused Note.
- Subjective: What details did the patient or parent provide regarding the personal and medical history? Include any discrepancies between the details provided by the child and details provided by the parent as well as possible reasons for these discrepancies.
- Objective: What observations did you make during the physical assessment? Include pertinent positive and negative physical exam findings. Describe whether the patient presented with any growth and development or psychosocial issues.
- Assessment: What were your differential diagnoses? Provide a minimum of three possible diagnoses. List them from highest priority to lowest priority and include their ICD-10 codes for the diagnosis. What was your primary diagnosis and why?
- Plan: What was your plan for diagnostics and primary diagnosis? What was your plan for treatment and management? Include pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatments, alternative therapies, and follow-up parameters as well as a rationale for this treatment and management plan.
- Reflection notes: What was your â€œahaâ€ moment? What would you do differently in a similar patient evaluation?
Note: Your Focused Note Assignment must be signed by Day 7 of Week 9.
By Day 7
Submit your Gastrointestinal or Genitourinary Condition Focused Note Assignment. (Note: You will submit two files, your Focused Note Assignment, and a Word document of pdf/images of each page that is initialed and signed by your preceptor by Day 7 of Week 9.)