assessment topic 3
Topic 1: – 350 words, APA, Reference class Materials Only.
Provide discussion related to one specific strength and one specific weakness of the process of intellectual assessment. Be sure to provide detailed information to back up your discussion based upon the readings in this unit.
Discuss the relevance of legislation on the processes of achievement and aptitude assessment. Be sure to include details that are typically related to the readings and the Web link from this unit. What might be some advantages or disadvantages to legislation guiding the practice of assessment?
1. Psychologist in Private Practice:
Client #1: Charles is a 28-year-old, married, father of a 2 year old and a 6 month old infant
Chief Complaint: “I just can’t seem to be happy with anything anymore. I’m miserable and I’m making everybody around me miserable.”
Historical considerations: Charles has been married for five years. He always expressed reservations about having children but went along with his wifeâ€™s desires to do so because he wanted nothing more than to make her happy. Since the birth of his children, Charles has had the added pressure of losing his previous job in sales and has had to settle for a job with much lower pay. Charles has also begun to drink more and has engaged in some marijuana use.
Client #2: Sabrina is a 41-year-old, recently divorced female with no children and high school education
Chief Complaint: “No matter what I do, I cannot relax, I am always stressing out about something. I feel like I’m going crazy.”
Historical considerations: Sabrina was previously married to her high school sweetheart for 20 years. Sabrina was diagnosed with fertility problems at a young age and was receiving fertility for the past 15 years in an effort to become pregnant. About a year ago, Sabrinaâ€™s husband informed her that he was having an affair with another woman from work and wanted a divorce. Sabrina had never attended college but had enrolled in an effort to advance to a higher position within her workplace. Sabrina has had difficulty since the divorce became official 3 months ago and has been struggling to maintain passing grades in school and perform within expectations at work.
2. School Psychologist
Client #1: Samuel is a 7-year-old second-grader from intact family that recently moved into the school district .
Referral Problems: academic difficulties related to reading and writing, social difficulties with peers
Historical considerations: Samuel and his family moved to a city that was 400 miles away from their original home, as his fatherâ€™s job relocated to another state. Samuel had close relationships with his peers, most of whom he knew from an early age. Samuelâ€™s previous school was much smaller and had a lot of academic resources and opportunities for more personalized instruction, which helped him because he always struggled with academics due to learning disabilities. Samuelâ€™s current school is one of the largest in the state and has student from significantly more diverse racial/ethnic backgrounds.
Client #2: Dave is a 17 -year-old high school student
Referral Problems: failing grades, refused to follow course sequences, considering dropping out
Historical considerations: Dave was previously an active student who excelled in school and participated in sports. Daveâ€™s mother was tragically killed in a car accident two years ago. Since this time, Daveâ€™s father has re-married and has added three younger children (ages 7, 9, and 10) from his wifeâ€™s prior marriage to the family dynamic. There has been a drastic change in Daveâ€™s behavior over the past six months, as he has begun to hang out with friends that are unfamiliar to the family, has been truant from school, and is always tired from coming in late.
In essay format, respond to the following:
- Identify specific historical and contextual considerations for each of the clients listed and how that would impact a plan for assessment. For historical considerations, you will add to the scenario by briefly discussing past events and issues that have led up to the current presenting problems experienced by the clients for each scenario. In your discussion of contextual considerations, you will need to refer to the context in which the assessment is being done. Your discussion should include information regarding assessment that is relevant to each context (Psychologist in Private Practice and School Psychologist).
- Discuss specific ethical concerns related to the assessment process for the clients listed. Be sure to reference specific ethical standards from the APA Code of Ethics in your response.
- Detail specifics of an initial interview for one of the clients listed above. Be sure to reference ethical issues, type of interview, methods used in conducting the interview, as well as strengths and limitations.
- Choose one of the clients listed above and outline a plan of assessment. List what specific types of assessments would be most appropriate and describe why they are necessary. See the unit 2 readings for specific types of assessments based on presenting issues (For example, if you chose the Beckâ€™s Depression Inventory, you would need to describe this tool and how this tool would result in information that is relevant to the clientâ€™s issues).
- Assignment should be a minimum of 3-5 pages not including the title and reference pages.
- APA Format
- Utilize the readings and other course material from Units 1, 2, and 3
- If you feel you must find outside resources for assistance, please utilize academically legitimate resources (DO NOT use websites and Wikiâ€™s that are not peer-reviewed)
- DO NOT focus on the use of diagnoses or labels
- Be specific and detailed; do not just list items and facts
- You may take creative license and flesh out the history or presenting problems of the clients if you choose, but please DO NOT identify labels or diagnoses at all!