Argumentative Research Essay
Draft an Argumentative Research Essay
ASSIGNMENT: Using your outline and annotated bibliography from Touchstones 1.2 and 2.2, draft a 6-8 page argumentative research essay on your chosen topic.
In order to foster learning and growth, all essays you submit must be newly written specifically for this course. Any recycled work will be sent back with a 0, and you will be given one attempt to redo the Touchstone.
As this assignment builds on Touchstone 2.2: Create an Annotated Bibliography, that Touchstone, as well as Touchstone 3.1, must be graded before you can submit your research essay draft.
A. Assignment Guidelines
DIRECTIONS: Refer to the list below throughout the writing process. Do not submit your Touchstone until it meets these guidelines.
1. Argumentative Thesis Statement
â’ Have you included a thesis in your introduction that takes a clear, specific position on one side of a debatable issue?
2. Argument Development
â’ Are all of the details relevant to the purpose of your essay?
â’ Is the argument supported using rhetorical appeals and source material?
â’ Is your essay 6-8 pages (approximately 1500-2000 words, not including your references or reflection question responses)? If not, which details do you need to add or remove?
â’ Have you cited outside sources effectively using quotation, summary, or paraphrase techniques?
â’ Are the sources incorporated smoothly, providing the reader with signal phrases and context for the source information?
â’ Have you referenced a range of at least 7 credible sources?
â’ Have you properly cited your sources according to APA style guidelines?
â’ Have you included an APA style reference page below your essay?
â’ Have you answered all reflection questions thoughtfully and included insights, observations, and/or examples in all responses?
â’ Are your answers included on a separate page below the main assignment?
DIRECTIONS: Below your assignment, include answers to all of the following reflection questions.
- Provide one example of a place where you have used rhetorical appeals or source material to support your argument. How does this enhance your essay? (2-3 sentences)
- Touchstone 4 is a revision of this draft. What kind of feedback would be helpful for you as you revise? Are there parts of your draft that youâ€™re uncertain of? (3-4 sentences)
The following requirements must be met for your submission to be graded:
- Composition must be 6-8 pages (approximately 1500-2000 words, not including your references or reflection question responses).
- Double-space the composition and use one-inch margins.
- Use a readable 12-point font.
- All writing must be appropriate for an academic context.
- Composition must be original and written for this assignment.
- Plagiarism of any kind is strictly prohibited.
- Submission must include your name, the name of the course, the date, and the title of your composition.
- Include all of the assignment components in a single file.
- Acceptable file formats include .doc and .docx.
- Your annotated bibliography must be graded before your research essay draft will be accepted.
E. Additional Resources
The following resources will be helpful to you as you work on this assignment:
- Purdue Online Writing Lab’s APA Formatting and Style Guide
- This site includes a comprehensive overview of APA style, as well as individual pages with guidelines for specific citation types.
- Frequently Asked Questions About APA Style
- This page on the official APA website addresses common questions related to APA formatting. The “References,” “Punctuation,” and “Grammar and Writing Style” sections will be the most useful to your work in this course.
- APA Style: Quick Answersâ€”References
- This page on the official APA Style website provides numerous examples of reference list formatting for various source types.