america as a super power
By the mid-20th century, the United States had become the dominant force in international relations. Some have argued that the United Statesâ€™ military functions as the worldâ€™s â€œpolice.â€ This assignment covers the manner in which this shift occurred and the consequences the United States faces as a result of its status as â€œpoliceman of the world.â€ One can identify early steps this direction well before World War II, but in this paper focus on the period from the 1940s to the present. Examine the statement below and drawing from provided sources, present a paper with specific examples and arguments to demonstrate the validity of your position.
Statementâ€”in which you can take a pro or con position:
- The American international â€œpolicingâ€ role developed because of the Cold War, but now terrorists or any power having or trying to get weapons of mass destruction (WMD) are the potential targets of such a role. By examples from different decades since 1950, it is clear that the policing strategy was once essential but should be discarded as ineffective and counterproductive. (Or you can argue the oppositeâ€”that the policing strategy is more necessary than ever; or you can argue for a more moderate position.) Use specific examplesâ€”two from the Cold War years and two from the past two decades.
After giving general consideration to your readings and your research, select one of the positions above as your positionâ€”your thesis. (Sometimes after doing more thorough research, you might choose the reverse position. This happens with critical thinking and inquiry. Your final paper might end up taking a different position than you originally envisioned.) Organize your paper as follows, handling these issues:
- The position you choose â€”or something close to itâ€”will be the thesis statement in your opening paragraph.
- To support your position, use four (4) specific examples from different decades between 1950 and the present. However, two (2) examples must be from the Cold War years (before 1991) and the other two (2) examples must be from the past twenty (20) years.
- Explain why the opposing view is weak in comparison to yours.
- Consider your life today: In what way does the history you have shown shape or impact issues in your workplace or desired profession? (This might be unclear at first since it is foreign policy. But, super-power status does inevitably provide advantages in a global economy.)
- 750 Words
One reference link above. Other two in Word documents.