Adopting Health Information Systems
Many health care leaders struggle with identifying the advantages and/or disadvantages when adopting a new or improving a current health information system. Many organizations are opting out of acquiring a new health information system due to the high monetary cost. Meanwhile, other health care organizations face resistance from employees and other stakeholders over system implementation . Overall, system acquisition is a challenge for most health care leaders.
Review each of the following articles :
- Managing the data explosion
- Catholic health partners to acquire Kaiser Permanente Ohio
- Mergers and acquisitions may be hazardous to health IT
In your discussion post, refer to these articles as you answer the following questions:
- What are at least three of the barriers faced by health care leaders in adopting health information systems
- Can these barriers be prevented? Explain your answer.
- What options are available for health information system acquisition?
- What system of checks and balances could be used to eliminate or reduce resistance?
- How do culture and/or behavioral factors influence acquisition?