Please answer the following question in a minimum of 500 words. Be sure to include 2 citations.
Merck and Co invests in securities of other companies. Access Mercks 2010 10k (which includes Financial Statements) using edgar at www.sec.gov
1. What is the amount and classification of any investment securities reported on the balance sheet? In which current and noncurrent asset categories are investments reported by Merck? What criteria are used to determine the classification?
2. How are unrealized gain or losses reported? Realized gains or losses?
3. Are investments reported by the equity method?
4. What amounts from equity method investments are reported in the comparative income statements?
5. Are Cash flow effects of these investments reflected in the companys comparative statements or cash flows? If so, what information is provided by this disclosure?